Any Good Alternatives to TK askdirectory ?
MegaWattz
2021-02-23 05:28:27 UTC
Hate it. You can't just light it up and OK, you have
to go INTO the subdir instead - which is seriously
counterintuitive for users. They always screw up.
The FILE selector works as expected, but not
askdirectory().
And no, if I'm using TK I'm not going to bring in all
other sorts of platforms or JS or other crap - "pure"
is better.
https://wiki.tcl-lang.org/page/eWidgets+Toolkit
dialog::directory - directory selector dialog
But I don't know how it behaves. You can test and/or do further
searches yourself.
Also, you might consider asking this question again in comp.lang.tcl.
"I'm still very busy writing it ...."

Not really ready for prime time I guess.

Yes, I could write a new one myself, but I'm just
not GOING to. Better uses for my time - and
"factory standard solution" is always better for
any who have to follow on.
MegaWattz
2021-02-24 04:05:46 UTC
Hate it. You can't just light it up and OK, you have
to go INTO the subdir instead - which is seriously
counterintuitive for users. They always screw up.
The FILE selector works as expected, but not
askdirectory().
And no, if I'm using TK I'm not going to bring in all
other sorts of platforms or JS or other crap - "pure"
is better.
To answer my own post, the answer is YES !

pip3 install tkfilebrowser

Import tkfliebrowser.
or maybe
import tkfilebrower as tkfb

There's an askdirectory, or multple directories, widget that
works entirely as expected. A better file selector widget too.
You can set wildcard filters with them - btw in [(tag,"*.png")]
style, just "*.png" won't work right. You can specify multiple
such patterns.

This is decidedly better than the "equivalents" inside the TK
library.